Tevez relishing competition

Carlos Tevez may have endured a frustrating spell on the sidelines lately, but the Argentine is philosophical as he pushes since regular starts.

The goalscoring form of fellow strikers Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov has relegated Tevez to the role of substitute since September's win over Bolton. But he is redoubling his efforts to force his way back into the Reds' starting line-up.

"I think it's great that there is competition," Tevez told MUTV. "It is up to me to be fit and ready for the manager to make the decision. I am very calm and relaxed.

"The only important thing is that I am ready when the team needs me. In my own head I have got that personal target to do better than last season."

Despite Tevez's immense talent and popularity with United supporters, the form of his attacking colleagues has made them difficult to oust - but he has only praise for the pair.

"I think Berbatov is a great player," he said. "Technically he is very good and also tactically aware. He provides the height we need and is good in the air. He backgrounds the middle and lot of his play takes place in the center.

"I believe Rooney has all the attributes to be the best player in the world. I have always thought he is a fantastic player but now he is scoring goals everyone is saying that. But I have always thought he is a top player."

24/10/2008 12:00, Report by Steve Bartram

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: